Replacing high carb ingredients with low carb ingredients has now become necessary for my family while following the keto diet. My family has to have their fill of enchiladas as often as possible but yet needs to eat more vegetables. Now, enchilada boats are a welcome addition to our weekly menu.
First, I simply scooped the middle out of the zucchinis with a large spoon.
The next step is to load the zucc
Next, add the black beans to the onion and pepper mixture and heat them up for about 3 minutes.
Time to load up the zucchini boats with the beans and top them with delicious grated cheese. Our favorite cheese to use on most any type of Mexican dish is colby jack. If I have any leftover filling I make some soft tacos from Mixla tortillas from my local grocery store made out of 50/50 combination of wheat and flour with only 100 calories per tortilla.
Enchilada Zucchini Boats
- Flat Baking Sheet
- Cutting Board
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ Sweet Onion
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- ¼ Teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¼ Teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 15 Ounce Can of Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 3 Medium Zucchinis
- 1 ½ Cups Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Cup Cheese of your Choice
- Lightly grease a baking pan and preheat your oven to 400°
- Remove the insides of all zucchinis by cutting them in half long ways and scooping out the inside of the zucchinis leaving about ¼ inch thickness as the shell.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil to pan and saute the onion and pepper for about 5 minutes, until the onion is transparent and the bell pepper is tender. Add garlic and spices and cook for about 2 minutes.
- After draining the liquid from the can, add black beans to skillet and heat for about 3 more minutes.
- Divide and spoon bean mixture into the zucchinis and place on the greased baking pan.
- Pour enchilada sauce over zucchinis and top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until heated through.
- Leftover beans and cheese can be placed into tortillas of your choice for a tasty addition to this healthy meal.
- After placing zucchini boats into the oven be sure to monitor them closely to avoid overcooking them.
- Click on this link for the recipe for Homemade Enchilada Sauce.