Who doesn’t like Mexican food in the south? Top a warm bowl of this delicious soup with sliced avocado and sour cream, and you’ll have yourself the best leftover chicken recipe in your part of the country. Try this tortilla soup chicken recipe for a tasty meal that is quick to prepare and easy to make. For those of you on the keto diet, there is 22g of carbohydrates in one corn tortilla. So, this recipe certainly won’t ruin your ketosis and is recommended as a tasty meal for a low carb diet. This is yet another meal for the picky eater in your family who doesn’t like chicken.
Tortilla Soup Chicken
- Large Saucepan
- Rimmed Baking Sheet
- 2 Onions or 1 large onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Jalapenos Seeded and Minced (for less heat remove ribs)
- 1 28 Ounce Can Peeled, Whole Tomatoes Cut into chunks
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Quart (4 Cups) Chicken Stock
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2-3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 8 Corn Tortillas Cut into strips ⅛ inch wide
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
- Saute chopped onions in the large saucepan in oil over medium high heat about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the jalapenos, tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and cumin to chopped onions. Stir and simmer over medium heat until thickened for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Use unsalted butter to grease a rimmed baking sheet and place the cut ⅛ inch corn tortilla strips on the sheet after tossing them with oil, salt and pepper. Place the tortilla strips in the oven for a total of 10 minutes. Be sure to shake the pan after baking for 5 minutes in order to insure even distribution of seasoned oil.
- Serve soup by ladling it into soup bowls, topping with a handful of tortilla strips and half a cup of shredded cooked chicken. Serve hot off of the stove for a delicious meal for the whole family.
This post contains affiliate links, but these are all products I love!